Friday, February 20, 2009

Texas is Big

So we left New Orleans this morning after a lovely morning walk with Romeo to Cafe du Monde where we, yes, got coffee and food. We did get to have breakfast next to the Mississippi this morning, though, which made Kamiah and me feel a bit at home.




We stopped at a plantation on our way out of Louisiana, where Kamiah pretended to be a Southern belle and Sid and I filled in for some missing statues. We had to fork over $10 a piece to walk through their gardens - you'd think they could at least put all the statues in. At least we didn't do the tour. Kamiah wanted to see the house, but the folks wanted $20 each for a 45 minute tour and Kamiah and I realized that 1) we don't care for guided tours, and 2) we'd get bored not too long in and forget it all anyhow.

After that, it was straight on till Houston. At this point in the day, I learned something important: Texas is big. I began typing at the border (mostly because I was typing up that bit about New Orleans, so the computer was already on). Here's how it went:

1545 We just passed into Texas and Kamiah saw a sign that said 857 miles to El Paso. Really? 857?! That’s not even sporting. Texas starts somewhere around mile marker eight hundred seventy something. I wasn’t looking. 857 miles…

1616 Mile marker 842. Only have to make it to Exit 770A (Houston) tonight. Not at all looking forward to the remaining 800-odd miles.

1621 Mile 838. Have passed an alligator farm! I thought those belonged in Florida… Considering alerting Florida authorities.

1624 Kamiah and I notice what we think is a bike path next to I-10. Discuss the relative merits of the path and whether we would use it. She thinks perhaps in the winter, like now, when it’s cool. I think not in Texas, not along the interstate at any rate. It does look like a nice path though. Kamiah says it looks hot. She’s right actually, there’s no shade and it looks to be asphalt.

1626 Mile 831. See sign for “Beach” at Exit 829. Kamiah is excited.

1627 Mile 830. Realize I have turned blog into twitter. Stopping now.

We did eventually make it to Houston, but not till almost 1800. Romeo was...anxious to be out of the car.

In closing, Texas is big. And boring. But it does look nicer than Louisiana, which we all three decided was the ugliest place ever.

4 comments:

  1. You are only in Houston! Tomorrow will be loads of fun! I can't wait to hear how your drive is through west Texas. Remember, when it says "Last chance" for gas - take it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and Sid look great, by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. But they are only going to San Antonio tomorrow, bigraves. That leaves a LOT of TX for Sunday. I'm glad it's not my body in those vehicles! Good you guys stocked up on food in NO cause there won't be many places to get food the next few days. Looks like Romey is having fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, too bad you couldn't stop in Austin.... it's the best (and most redeeming) part of Texas.... as bigraves says, West TX is awful.... much worse than Houston.

    ReplyDelete