Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Even as I left Florida...

The title is a line from the song my brain was singing to me this morning when I woke up ("Florida" by Modest Mouse). That's not unusual for me - music in my head - I have a pretty much constant soundtrack in there (yes, you all have theme songs) but most of the time the songs seem random. Today was either blinding good luck on my brain's part or it's trying to tell me something. After the drive, I'm inclined to believe the latter since there's another line in the song about drowning in cruise control. Ha, very ha, brain.

Turns out Romeo is a very good car trip dog (or pug, for those who refuse to acknowledge his dog-ness). As soon as he realizes there's no where to go, he goes right to sleep! I'm sure most of you are having a hard time believing that, having met him yourselves, but it's true. Just ask Kamiah (maybe I can get her to make a corroborating post). The only downside to travelling with him is that he needs to stop and go out every once in a while and sometimes we see signs like this one:

Romeo's kind of a wimp and I don't like his chances against poisonous anything.

We arrived in Crestview, FL after a mere 6-ish hours of driving (did you know you pass into the Central time zone while still in Florida? That's ridiculous) where we checked into a hotel with this one piece of artwork in the room:

My hotel is pushy and upbeat. I don't like it.

On the upside, we met Rob and Jen Lamott for dinner since they're down here househunting (successfully, too, so congratulate them!) and it seemed too good an opportunity to pass up.

In closing, in the interest of full disclosure, even though everyone I talked to before we left said "drive carefully" I was nearly run off the road twice today by semi-truck drivers on cell phones. I'm trying to be careful, I really am. Sid fared much better.

1 comment: