Thursday, February 19, 2009

Please deep fat fry all my food. Thank you.



My sister and I look nothing alike, as evidenced by this picture. I take after the Walkers, and she must've gotten all the Callahan genes.

We are, however, alike in this way: We like our food, and we like it deep fat fried.

The picture above also proves this.


As Oesa mentioned, we went out to eat with her friends on Wednesday night. There's a Cracker Barrel right next to the Jameson Inn here in Crestview, FL -- actually, the Jameson Inn is on Cracker Barrel Drive, a great name for a street, if you ask me.


So Cracker Barrel was the obvious restaurant choice, but then oh, what to get for dinner?!?!


For me, there is no "obvious" entree choice, and the debate in my head went something like this:
  • Chicken 'n' dumplins (yes, I punctuate correctly, even in my head)!
  • No, chicken fried steak! Steak fried in another kind of meat! I don't get how that works, but it tastes so good!
  • No, better -- chicken fried chicken! Think of the gravy!

Across the table, I'm sure Oesa was having a similiar debate because we both ended up ordering the chicken fried chicken.

When the waitress asked me if I wanted white or brown gravy with the mashed potatoes, I went immediately with the white: that's what our mom always makes. Then I jokingly said, "You know, you can just cover the entire plate in gravy, and I'd be happy."

Ok, it wasn't really a joke, and the waitress took me seriously. Even my corn -- of course that was one of my other sides; I'm from Iowa -- was gravy-ful.

You can now all hate Oesa and me for our blessed metabolism that is allowing us to eat our way across the South.

No comments:

Post a Comment