Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Joshua Tree Redux and We Find Food in LA

We took the scenic route from 29 Palms to LA today, involving a lovely drive through Joshua Tree National Park. Kamiah and I were here when we were kids, hence 'redux'. We stopped at the park entry sign to get pictures, just like we did when we were kids (so here you go, Dad!). Notice Kamiah and I are wearing matching "Jr Ranger" t-shirts, purchased from the park welcome center. We figure we earned them - we were junior rangers here once, in the past...in the early '90s. But hey, we earned those shirts!


During our drive we went past the campgrounds, where we stopped to scramble around on the rocks and take pictures of each other looking triumphant. It's a sham, really - the pug could have made it up those rocks given enough time. And wings.




It was an uneventful drive into LA from there, but I do have to share one horrific picture with you. This is still 50 miles outside LA proper, but notice the smog in the distance. Even better, look closely at the left side of the photo and check out the wind farm. There was something truly ironic (and disheartening) about seeing this.



After getting 'settled' into TLF on Fort MacArthur, we headed out to find food in the area around our new house. Before I get too far into that, though, I should tell you this is the nicest AF Lodging ever. We have a two room suite with two flat screen TVs, a decent bed, a comfy couch, and an armchair which Sid claimed immediately. We even have wifi here!

And back to food. There's a mini-mall type thing across the street from our neighborhood and in that mini-mall is a Mexican restaurant called Pina's promising "authentic" Mexican food. I can't judge authenticness, being from Iowa and all, but I can tell you the food was great, and pretty cheap, AND they deliver! There was a layer of beans under everything on my plate (even the sour cream and guacamole that went with my taquitos!) enabling me to eat a bite of food that was just, beans, rice, sour cream, and guacamole. So good...

I guess that paragraph is a heads up - if you come out and visit before we make our way to the other restaurants (there appears to be a great deal of good food around us here) you'll be eating Mexican at least once.

In closing, I like food. And after rereading the last couple paragraphs, I realize I may like food a little too much...

3 comments:

  1. I think Sid looks the most triumphant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking for the big "S" on Sid's chest - he looks just like Superman - I feel safer already just knowing Superman lives - & he's evidently my son-in-law!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To the person who took Patrick's triumphant picture...

    Can you please come to Iowa and take my picture so my chest looks way bigger than it actually is?

    ReplyDelete