Monday, February 23, 2009

I went from Phoenix Arizona all the way to Tacoma...

Well, not exactly, of course, but that's the song (Rockin' Me by Steve Miller) that was in my head this morning and really, it kind of fits. We'll be heading through Phoenix tomorrow. I've been to Philadelphia and Altanta recently too, so if I could swing Tacoma I'd have the song covered.

Today we made it to Rancho Sonora in Florence, AZ (between Tucson and Phoenix). New Mexico and Arizona are better driving than Texas and, believe it or not, there are distinguishing features. Here's how to tell them apart. Remember those photos of Texas I took with my phone yesterday? Well, I took a couple more today. This is New Mexico:


Notice that where Texas was flat, New Mexico has pointy mountains off in the distance. No really, they're kind of everywhere along I-10. Also, Texas was sort of tan and brown, but New Mexico is more yellow and green (well, greenish).

Here's Arizona:

Notice that Arizona has those big saguaro cactus. That's now you know you're in Arizona. Now before you laugh at this obvious over-simplification, know that for the most part this is exactly how I decide where pictures of childhood camping trips were taken. Different cactus, different looking mountains, different colors.

Kamiah and I had a lovely drive today (leaving Sid to himself in his car, where he happily listened to anything that wasn't showtunes or Dixie Chicks) reminiscing about our childhood experiences out here and trying to remember the last time we were on vacation in the southwest together. We're pretty sure it was 1997. But, just to show Mom and Dad not much has changed (except that we get along a lot better), here are a few pictures of us from the trip. Many thanks to Sid for patiently taking pictures of us when we ask.


Notice the somewhat matching shirts. Kamiah and I think they highlight our differences even while we 'match'.



Proving we're similar, here's Kamiah eating some butter at dinner tonight:

We went to a Greek place in Florence. They also serve breakfast (my favorite!) so we may go there again before heading to Casa Grande National Monument to look at the ruins.

We'll be in Twentynine Palms, CA tomorrow night - finally in California!

In closing, the food's not as plentiful here as it was in New Orleans, but we're still having a blast (well, maybe not Sid, the desert's not quite his thing yet) and best of all, no one has been eaten by wolves!


1 comment:

  1. I'm going to miss this blog when you guys reach L.A. I think you should keep writing it for our reading pleasure.

    Also, is Romeo ever going to post about his experiences of the trip?

    ReplyDelete